All around the western world, the winter time is a very special and cozy one, which is enjoyed with friends and a lot of comfort food. Particularly Vienna has a magical winter and christmas vibe, which is a must to enjoy at least once in your life. Here are some reasons to come and enjoy the Austrian capital during this special time.
- Admire the extravagant christmas decoration which is put up in the historical city centre and the shopping streets of Vienna. Our favourites are the Rotenturmstraße and the Graben, both 1010 Vienna. But there are many more to discover and enjoy!
- Due to the cold temperatures its always a good idea to stop by a traditional Viennese coffee house for a good coffee or a delicious hot chocolate or even a snack, like a homemade Gulasch. Our top picks are the Cafe Jelinek, the Cafe Sperl, both in 1060 Vienna and the Kaffee Alt Wien in 1010 Vienna. Very traditional coffee houses, which are well known but not overcrowed and still frequented by Viennese locals.
- A beautiful phenomen during the Viennese christmas time are the “Christkindl markets” which date back centuries and celebrate our local christmas traditions and habits. Because their are so many all around Vienna it is best to do a christmas market tour with Prime Tours to get the most out of your stay. The tour includes information, a hot wine tasting, some local delicacies and a lot of fun! Book your spot now
- One of the most fun things to do besides the christmas market tour is to go to one of the various ice skating rings of Vienna and try to stand and move as long as possible without saying Hi to the wet and cold ice. One of the best places in the city is the “Wiener Eislaufverein” next to the metro station “Stadtpark”. From january on there is as well the “Wiener Eistraum” in front of the city hall. It is the biggest ice skating ring and also one of the most beautiful ones – perfect for romantic moments with your loved ones 😉
- When its cold outside, sometimes its best to stay inside and enjoy one of the many world-class museums Vienna has to offer. Its actually difficult to decide which of to dozens of cool exhibtions and breath-taking collections you want to see. Our 5 top picks are:
- Belvedere with its Klimt collection and its extensive park to stroll around
- Albertina with its huge graphic collection, the “Young Hare” of Dürer and its changing exhibitions(Monet, Keith Haring, …)
- World museum with its unique ethnograpical collection from James Cook and the world famous “Penacho de Moctezuma”
- Museum of Art History (KHM) with its stunning imperial collection and changing exhibitions (Bruegel, Wes Anderson)
- Narrenturm, the “fool’s tower” the biggest pathological collection worldwide, very special opening hours but worth a visit!
So come to Vienna in the next few weeks or months and enjoy the city with us ! There is a lot to explore and see. Let the locals show you how Vienna works! We have plenty of different tours in offer. Be a local for a day.